Thursday, October 28, 2010

Corn Chowder

I know it has been a while. Life has been majorly busy... I still have a family to feed, so I have been cooking, but just not posting.  Here is a soup that I have loved since I was little.  Enjoy!

Corn Chowder

3Tbs Butter and some oil
1 medium Onion, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery Stick, diced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
6 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, leaves only
1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
4-5 cups Chicken Broth (until chowder-like consistency)
2 cups Potatoes, chopped
3 cups Frozen Corn
2 cups Half & Half
Pinch of nutmeg
salt & pep to taste
1/4 cup fresh parseley leaves, chopped (optional)


In a large, heavy pot, saute onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme in butter/oil for about 8-10 minutes, until onion is clear and tender. Dust vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well.  Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.  Add potatoes and boil hard for 7 minutes (until potatoes soften/break down), then simmer.

Add corn and cook until heated through, add half and half and seasonings (nutmeg, salt & pep, parsley) to taste.  If it is too thick, add more broth, if too thin add more flour (mixed with a small about of water first so it doesn't clump in soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment