My friend, who I have mentioned before on this blog (and who is always making delicious food) told me about this soup. When she told me about it, it made me nervous. Then she invited me over to try it - and once I saw it I wasn't really sure I wanted to try it. Of course I didn't want to offend her, so I tasted it... and I was sold! I love this soup. I love that it has TONS of spinach and kale and you can't even tell. My husband, who is not a lover of green veggies, loves this soup.
Check it out:
Scary huh? Well it is delicious and good for you. Try it!
Check it out:
Green Soup
1 bunch chard/spinach (I used spinach)
1 bunch kale
4-5 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
1/2 cup loosely packed parsely
1 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
1 medium Yukon gold potato
1 medium yellow onion
1 1/2 TB olive oil
Marsala, dry sherry, or white wine (I just used white cooking wine - about 1/4 cup)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
pepper
cayenne
juice from 1/2 or whole lemon, whatever tastes good to you
cream (I used about 1/3 cup)
chop and caramelize the onion and garlic with oil and butter in the big pot (I always use oil and butter when sauteing things. The butter makes it tasty, and the oil keeps if from burning on to the bottom). When done, deglaze the pan with the white wine.
Wash the greens, trim their stems, and slice the leaves. Combine spinach, kale, green onions, and parsely in pot with broth and salt (the kale and spinach take up so much room that you might have to put a bunch in, wait for it to wilt, then put the rest in). Peel the potato, cut it into small pieces, and add it to the pot. Bring to a boil, turn to low heat, cover the pot, and let soup simmer for about 35 minutes.
puree it in a blender or with an immersion blender. Don't overprocess because the potatoes will turn gummy if you work them too much. (if you think you need to, add a small amount more of broth). It should pour easily from a ladle.
Return the soup to the pot, bring it back to a simmer and taste. Add some more salt and pepper if needed. Add a pinch of cayenne and the lemon juice. add cream at the end. Stir well and taste.
1 bunch chard/spinach (I used spinach)
1 bunch kale
4-5 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
1/2 cup loosely packed parsely
1 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
1 medium Yukon gold potato
1 medium yellow onion
1 1/2 TB olive oil
Marsala, dry sherry, or white wine (I just used white cooking wine - about 1/4 cup)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
pepper
cayenne
juice from 1/2 or whole lemon, whatever tastes good to you
cream (I used about 1/3 cup)
chop and caramelize the onion and garlic with oil and butter in the big pot (I always use oil and butter when sauteing things. The butter makes it tasty, and the oil keeps if from burning on to the bottom). When done, deglaze the pan with the white wine.
Wash the greens, trim their stems, and slice the leaves. Combine spinach, kale, green onions, and parsely in pot with broth and salt (the kale and spinach take up so much room that you might have to put a bunch in, wait for it to wilt, then put the rest in). Peel the potato, cut it into small pieces, and add it to the pot. Bring to a boil, turn to low heat, cover the pot, and let soup simmer for about 35 minutes.
puree it in a blender or with an immersion blender. Don't overprocess because the potatoes will turn gummy if you work them too much. (if you think you need to, add a small amount more of broth). It should pour easily from a ladle.
Return the soup to the pot, bring it back to a simmer and taste. Add some more salt and pepper if needed. Add a pinch of cayenne and the lemon juice. add cream at the end. Stir well and taste.
No comments:
Post a Comment